Thursday, September 1, 2011

Upcycled Chair

I am relatively new to this whole thrifting/upcycling thing and have been mostly focusing on smaller home decor items, with a bedside table thrown in here and there. I have been wanting to try my hand at a chair and found this little beauty at GW for $4.99. I loved the style, with the harp-shaped back, and I really needed something simple as far as the seat goes. Although I would LOVE to learn how to actually reupholster a fabulous old chair, my knowledge at this point is limited to removing the seat from the base of the chair and stapling some fabric on. :)




I found some great home decor fabric for 30% off at Hobby Lobby, and based on the colors in the fabric I decided to do one coat of Annie Sloan's Provence followed by two coats of Old White. I sanded several spots to let both the dark wood and Provence show through a bit, rubbed on some clear wax and voila:






I am donating the chair to my friend's charity event on September 10th. It will be a silent auction item--hoping someone will spend a few dollars on it! :)

Tomorrow is First Friday's here in KC and I will be heading to Good Juju bright and early with my friend, Betsy. Can't wait to show you what treasures I end up bringing home!

I am linking up with:
Primitive and Proper

Saved by Suzy


Shades of Amber

4 comments:

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

So pretty and classic. I just did one of these harp-back chairs for my daughter's room. I love the shape of the chair. Thanks for linking to my party. I love finding new blogs!

Cassie Bustamante said...

so sweet! i love how paint and fabric can totally transform a chair!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

What a lovely piece! The harp back is gorgeous, and it looks great in white.

Bargain Hunting Treasure Seeker said...

It turned out GREAT!!! LOVE it!!!

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by Delicious Design Studio