Monday, September 12, 2011

New JS Release and some jewelry box pics

Happy Monday! After a week of fall-ish temps we are back up in the 90's here in KC! UGH! Fortunately it will not last long and we should be in the upper 60's again by Thursday. Fall is my very favorite time of year! I love the crisp, cool air, the smell of leaves burning and the cozy feeling at home in the evenings when dark comes earlier. **SWOON**

Kitschy Digitals had a fabulous new release last week called "Homespun Stitches". I always love her goodies because they have a lovely vintage flair to them. This fun kit has a tons of stitched flowers, as well as fabric paper. To.die.for. It was perfect for some of our recent princess pics from the cruise!


I indulged my jewelry box obsession over the weekend and painted one for my shop and one for a friend's birthday. Here are some pics:


I am such a sucker for these little wooden jewelry boxes, as long as the velvet lining is in good shape. I have definitely seen some scary velvet out there...not sure I want to know what some people store in the little drawers!

I used ASCP in Aubusson Blue on this and I can't get enough of the rich color! I went over it with a coat of clear and a coat of dark wax and I love the finish on it.

The mustard-colored lining is fabulous against the blue. I am sending it to a girlfriend this afternoon. :)


I REALLY wish I had a before of this piece! It appears to be handmade and is really unique! It was a very dark wood and had been varnished within an inch of its life. I just used one coat of ASCP in Paris Grey, then sanded and waxed and voila! This jewelry box is pretty big (14 X 7 X 7) and wieghs over 6 lbs...I think it would be fabulous on a dresser or on a large bathroom counter.

The red lining really pops against the light grey.

And finally, I got this old hutch for $50 from a realtor friend of mine who was selling an elderly lady's home. This had been sitting in her garage for about a century quite some time and needs a THOROUGH cleaning, but I can't wait to get started on it. I am thinking I will strip the top of the buffet piece and give it a dark stain, and then paint the rest of it with heirloom or dover white. I would love to use Chalk Paint in Old White, but I'd like to glaze the piece once it is painted, and I don't have any experience with how glaze works on chalk paint. (And I'm still learning how to successfully use the dark wax! :))



Thank you so much for stopping by! Have a great week!




2 comments:

Gael said...

As always, I love what you do with what looks like a very mundane item. Both jewelry boxes are knockouts! The hutch really caught my eye, though. I'm glad that I got to see the before, because I know that the after is going to be incredible. What will you do with that once it is finished? It seems a bit "huge" to be on your etsy site.

Jennifer said...

I can't wait to see this redone.

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by Delicious Design Studio