Monday, October 17, 2011

DIY Chalk Paint? Yippee!

As I was persuing the blogosphere last week, I stumbled upon a life-changing post by Sherry at "No Minilmalist Here" about DIY Chalk Paint! Ok, life-changing may be a bit over-the-top, but definitely money-saving! I am a huge fan of Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint because of the amazing finish it gives AND the fact that I can be lazy save precious time by skipping the prep step on most furniture. The bummer about the paint is that it costs about $35/quart plus shipping, since I don't have a local stockist in KC--so I end up paying about $50/quart. Yikes! Eats into my profit on furniture sales just a tad. Now, enter Sherry with her  recipe for creating chalk paint using 2/3 latex paint and 1/3 plaster of paris--sheer brilliance! I decided to whip up my own batch on Friday using some leftover turquoise Sherwin Williams paint and $2.99 plaster of paris from Hobby Lobby. I have to say I am SOLD! Not only did I not need to do any prep work on this little side table, but the paint dried quickly, sanded fabulously and took a coat of wax like a dream. (Cue the choir of angels...)

You must check out Sherry's blog "No Minimalist Here"--I can't wait to see what else she has up her sleeve!

Before: your standard side table with a laminate top purchased at Savers


After: with a bit of distressing and some clear and dark wax





I was a busy bee this past weekend and have several more "Before and Afters" to share this week. Here are some sneaks at the befores:





Hope your week is off to a great start!

5 comments:

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Erin, Your table turned out beautiful and I love the color. I am so happy you like the DIY chalk paint and I appreciate the mention.
Hugs,
Sherry

Anonymous said...

WOW, the table turned out fabulous!! LOVE!

Kim Woods said...

Holy cow! Gorgeous! I'm totally going to have to try to make my own paint asap! Did you sleep? Did your children starve? Did you lock them and your husband in a closet? You are so crafty with your crafts and your time! Love it!

Cynthia said...

Your table turned absolutely gorgeous! I love that colour!

Cassie Bustamante said...

erin it turned out so pretty! that color is awesome!

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by Delicious Design Studio